Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bears win wasn't an upset!

Ok...maybe it was a small upset, but the Bears didn't do anything I didn't think they were capable of.

1. Kyle Orton- No turnovers, no touchdowns, and 150 passing yards....pretty much what I expected. He's a game manager.

2. Matt Forte- Didn't really expect 120+ yards rushing including a 50 yard run that could have been a 99 yard run if he started at the one but I knew Forte was capable of it. I've been saying he looks like another Thomas Jones....maybe even better. I am more convinced now that the Bears cut Benson not because of his legal problems but because Forte is a better player.

3. The Defense- How can you call the defense a surprise? What they did was more of an expectation. Creating turnovers, forcing 4th downs, and creating points is their game. I like the fact Indy had to settle for a field goal 2 times. Only one offensive touchdown by Indy. The Bears had two offensive touchdowns.

The only big surprise for me was that the offensive line did a really good job. They opened a lot of holes for Forte and Orton got sacked only once I think.

I said before the season that this is an 11-5 team. I was wrong....this is a 12-4 team. They played the way I wanted them to play and if they keep playing like this, book your tickets to Tampa right now. The Bears win by winning the turnover battle and running the ball and they executed both of them perfectly. This looks like a double digit win team not a 6-10 team like so many of the "experts" have predicted.That being said, it was just one game. As much as I want to say the doubters, "Preseason is meaningless....you were wrong about the Bears being a terrible team", all that win on Sunday means is that the Bears won't go 0-16. What I'm trying to say is that the Bears need to play like that every game. They need to run the ball, they need to protect the ball, and they need to take away the ball. If they can't do that next week, they might lose. They have to be consistent. They showed up last night, but they have to show up again next week and do the same thing. This is the NFL. Any team can beat any team. If the Bears don't play well, they probably won't win. The Falcons killed a decent Lions team. The Chiefs nearly beat the Patriots (being Brady-less is no excuse). The Bears can be a 12-4 team and I think they proved to everyone that they can, but they need to play good football every week. A great start but it is nothing more than that right now.

No comments: