Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 2: Orton nothing more than a Game Manager

Kyle Orton is still the same Kyle Orton. He's still a guy who will not lose you any games but he won't win you any games either. Sunday's performance by Orton looked just like his performance against the Colts. Another 150 yards passing, no touchdowns, and no interceptions. I don't like Kyle Orton as a quarterback. I liked it at first because he is capable of not letting a mediocre offensive line affect him but so far the offensive line looks not too bad. What I don't like about Orton is that he's only effective from 1 to 10 yards. Orton can not complete the level 3 pass (15+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage). He over-threw Marty Booker late in the game which might have been a game winning touchdown. I can see Rex Grossman watching the film of this game making a list of all the plays he could have made that Orton didn't. I say give Orton one more start but no more if he continues to look average. Grossman may throw the occasional interception, but he will score touchdowns and will pass for well over 200 yards every game.

As for the game.....

I don't think the Bears "blew" it. Yeah they were up 17-3 but think about how they got that lead. Seven points came from the blocked punt and seven more points were set-up by the Peanut Tillman interception. The Carolina defense had a good game even though the scoreboard said otherwise in the 3rd quarter. I wasn't really surprised that the Bears offense didn't score any more points because special teams and defense got them 14 out of the 17 points. The reason the score was 17-3 is because the Panthers played poorly in the 1st half. Too many penalties by them killed most of their drives. In the second half, the Panthers made less mistakes and won the game. The Panthers won the game. I don't think the Bears lost it. They were fortunate to have a 14 point lead to begin with. It's too bad that there was still plenty of time left in the game. I don't blame Greg Olsen by the way. I don't know if I should fault him for the first fumble or not but I definitely can't fault him for the second fumble. Panthers safety Chris Harris is one of the best at stripping the ball. He makes players fumble. It's not like Olsen gave the ball to Harris on a silver platter. Harris forced it out of his hands. He led the league last year in forcing fumbles so I don't blame Olsen for that.

I am disappointed the Bears lost a game they could have won, but I don't think it was a game they SHOULD have won. The Panthers played better. However, that doesn't mean the results will be the same if these two teams meet again in the playoffs. The Bears know that penalties and turnovers loses games and now they will try to correct them. That's the only good thing about losses....you see your flaws easier and you know what you have to do to win the next game. Winning two games on the road against two SUPER BOWL contenders is really hard. The Panthers beat a really good Chargers team in week one and the Bears beat a Colts team that was able to beat the Vikings this week in the H.H.H. Dome. The Vikings are considered (not by me) the best team in the division so I like the fact the Bears are already up 1-0 in common opponents. Big win against a good Colts team and a close loss to a good Panther team with both games on the road....I am fine with the way the Bears season has started. I have very little doubt that this team will be in the playoffs and I really think this team is capable of winning it all.

No comments: