Friday, February 16, 2007

Pippen may return to the NBA

The Chicago Tribune reported today that former Chicago Bulls player Scottie Pippen is considering making a comeback to the NBA and he hopes to play for a playoff team.


Here is an excerpt from Sam Smith's article in today's Tribune:


Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years. And in the Eastern Conference, his veteran presence could change the balance of power and be a major influence in the playoffs. Or he might be the long-sought backup to relieve the pressure on the Suns' Steve Nash. The possibilities are intriguing.


"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."


"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.


"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.


"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.


"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."


Sam Smith also writes, "[Pippen] didn't mention the Bulls as a possible destination, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with their surplus of guards and small forwards."


In Smith's article, he mentions that Pippen said his condition and health is better than at any time in the last five years. Five years ago, Pippen was in the middle the 2001-2002 season and was playing for the Portland Trail Blazers. That season he started in 60 games and averaged 10.6 points per game. Pippen also averaged 32.2 minutes per game which is more than the 17.9 minutes per game he averaged with the Bulls in the 2003-2004 season.


I think the Bulls should consider getting Pippen. If he is as healthy as he says he is, the Bulls should take a chance on him. The Bulls should schedule a workout for Pippen to see how heathly he is and if they think he is in good shape, then I think the Bulls should release Viktor Khryapa and sign Pippen. The Bulls should be one of the teams Pippen wants to play for and the Bulls are currently on track to be in the playoffs this year. Not only can Pippen be a leader with veteran experience, he can also maybe even contribute to the team which was something he didn't do as a Bull in the 2003-2004 season. The Bulls can get an early look at Pippen tommorow. According to Smith's article, Pippen will participate in the "Shooting Stars" contest tommorow night as part of the All-Star festivities. He will be joined by Bulls guard Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree. Let's hope Bulls G.M. John Paxson will be watching.








No comments: